Comatose Swallowing Cannabis, french Baby Hospitalized

French Baby Hospitalized, Comatose After Swallowing Cannabis

The British tabloid press is reporting on a 10-month-old infant who needed to be rushed to the hospital after accidentally swallowing cannabis. Police in Lyon, France, arrested the baby’s parents once they checked their child to the emergency room. Stories say the baby is now in a coma and fighting for its life. Now, details on the situation are rare. But the 10-month-old’s hospitalization is being linked to a similar episode in France in April. Both France and the UK have strict laws prohibiting non-medical cannabis use and restricting medical access.

UK Tabloid Stokes Fears Over Cannabis and Children

The conversation over cannabis legalization in the UK was reignited earlier this season, when the event of 12-year-old Billy Caldwell came to national attention. Caldwell relied on THC and CBD cannabis oil to deal with his life-threatening epilepsy. But his mother had the boy’s medication confiscated at London Heathrow airport as she returned from Canada, where she had to fly to buy the oil.

Outrage over the episode mounted to a public outcry that jolted public officials from their complacent resistance to legal cannabis. Ultimately, British Home Secretary Sajid Javid declared a comprehensive government review of legalization, paving the way for actual policy reform and setting the UK on the path toward broader legalization. However while many conservatives in parliament are changing tack, some are holding fast to well-worn anti-cannabis talking points.

And it often prints sensationalized stories about cannabis to stoke continued fear and hysteria over the prospect of legalization. Today’s story about a comatose French infant who swallowed cannabis bears many of the traits of such policy. Using a tragic story about addiction and abuse to present cannabis as a menacing threat to kids ’s safety.

Can Cannabis Really Cause a Coma in Infants?

The 10-month-old French infant hospitalized now for consuming cannabis didn’t eat edibles or concentrates. But raw flower contains enough cannabinoids to present life-threatening effects in infants. There aren’t very many studies on this, fortunately because of the rarity of reports of adverse effects in very young children. However, a couple of research between 1989 and 1996 identify cases where ingesting raw flower or edibles led to comas in infants. The purpose of these studies was to educate pediatricians on the need for diagnostic tools that screen for cannabis ingestion.

In the event of the other baby referenced in the Sun article, doctors concluded she had consumed cannabis resin and inhaled significant quantities of secondhand cannabis smoke. In both of the kids ’s cases, police investigations uncovered multi-drug abuse among their parents. Lyon police charged the 10-month-old’s dad with the administration of harmful materials and neglect of a child. And in the April incident, lab results revealed the presence of cocaine and ecstasy in the baby.

These are stories about surroundings of abuse and neglect. They’re tragic and all too common. But their framing in these cases places the emphasis on cannabis, rather than the context. Parents do need more education about the risks cannabis poses to young people. But the broader culture may also benefit from learning about responsible cannabis use. And even the possibility of cannabis to help in the battle against severe drug abuse and dependence .

Published at Fri, 26 October 2018 23:06:53 +0000

Posted in: News

Comments are closed.